by Bliss Spillar
With Christmas only a few days away, the question of what are we to do with Santa as devoted followers of Christ comes up from time to time. It is a good question that should be wrestled with before choosing to incorporate it or keep it out of our homes. Even at Redemption City Church, there are homes that incorporate Santa as part of their Christmas tradition and there are homes that have chosen to not incorporate him as part of their tradition.
This blog post is not about which position should necessarily be taken, but rather to give some practical wisdom and a few resources to consider.
Perspectives on the Dangers
- Santa Claus: Harmless Fun or Tragic Distraction by John Piper
- Down with Santa by Thabiti Anyabwile
- Santa Christ by Sinclair Ferguson
Perspectives on Wisley Navigating the Dangers
- Santa, Strategically by Jen Wilkin
For Parents Who Disagree
- Should Your Family Invite Santa to Christmas? by Lindsey Carlson
The Historical Santa
- The Quest for the Historical Santa by Micahael Svigel
- Who Was St. Nicholas? by Kevin DeYoung
- Saint Nicholas and the Origins of Santa Claus by Steven Nichols